Dietetics is the interpretation and communication of the science of nutrition; it helps people make informed and practical choices about food and lifestyle in both health and disease. With developments in research and dietetic practice, health and wellness have taken on a new level of importance.
Nutrition is the process of taking in food and using it for growth, metabolism, and repair. Good nutrition – an adequate, well balanced diet combined with regular physical activity – is a cornerstone of good health. Poor nutrition can lead to reduced immunity, increased susceptibility to disease, impaired physical and mental development, and reduced productivity.
A patient’s nourishment is a top priority at St. Philomena’s Hospital. Providing a satisfying, nourishing, and well balanced diet takes great skill and planning. The department of dietetics takes pride in serving its patients and staff the highest quality food. The dietary department aims to provide nutritious, attractive and palatable food while maintaining high standards of hygiene, sanitation production and service to all the patients. Bearing in mind that every patient has unique needs and food preferences, Dietitians visit all the in patients on a daily basis to ensure that the food tolerances, ethnic, and religious needs and therapeutic requirements of all patients are met. Patients are able to choose from items listed on our patient menu.
- Inpatient diet management
- All the inpatients are assessed for nutritional risk by qualified dieticians.
- All the in patients are met on a daily basis.
- Individualized and tailor made nutritional care is provided to all in patients
- The patients are offered a choice of food items based on the nutritional requirements.
- All efforts are made to prepare and provide special meals catering to patients in accordance with their disease condition.
- Nutritional assistance in terms of diet counseling is given to all patients admitted in the hospital.
- Outpatient counselling for nutrition-related health problems.
- Diet counselling for gastrointestinal disorders
- Diet counselling for Diabetes mellitus
- Diet counselling for Renal insufficiency
- Diet counselling for cardiopulmonary disorders